Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Music and Photography - The Places I Like to Hide

I love music. More than simply a background cacophony of contemporary compositions, for me music is a blanket in which I wrap my soul. If I am denied for too long, I truly do become uncentred. I lose a compass that has guided me from an awkward, socially isolated teenager to a personally strong and confident adult.

As a musician, I have found a way to express my deepest fears and most hopeful wishes. Express them widely in the open for any and all to hear, while keeping the context of those dreams and nightmares locked in private thought.

Photography is another manner of expression of vision and thoughts. Through my lens, I see a world that sometimes escapes my ever wandering eye. By isolating my sight to the tunnel vision of my lens, I can see an image that, in a physical sense, is nothing more than the interception of light patterns as reflected by an object. But for the eye it is a canvas that captures every stroke of light painted, every laugh expelled, every tear shed, and every emotion expressed. Indeed, sometimes it is through the lens that I gain a larger view of what surrounds me.

These are the places where my mind lives. These are the places in which I hide. They are not physical, but they do provide my mind's shelter. The doorway I run through in the night...

No comments: